Here it is…February already! I do not know where January went to!!
Have you made any resolutions? Have you started them? Have you started, but feel like you may have failed already?
I have a goal this year to become healthier. I have about 80-90lbs to lose, and I want to curb some of the health issues that I have been experiencing over the past year. My problem is…I don’t seem to do well with the follow-through.
Now, I know I am not the only one who feels this way. I have no initiative, and it is February already. I have good intentions, but really struggle with sticking to the commitment. I think it is because I am afraid of not being able to do it all the way, I am afraid to fail.
When I was in the course I took, 2.5 years ago, we learned about making goals. We should follow the word SMART.
S- Specific – What, specifically, do you want to accomplish?
M- Measurable – Can I measure the progress?
A- Achievable – Is my goal reachable?
R- Relevant – Will it help me reach my lifes purpose?
T- Timely - What is the time frame for this goal to be reached?
So, for me to just say “I want to live a healthy lifestyle”, isn’t really being specific. I think that is a big problem why I have a hard time committing to this goal.
I need to find 1 thing to change, which I did about 3 weeks ago. I decided that I would stop drinking pop. I haven’t had any pop since I made that specific goal. You know what? I don’t even miss it!! Now, if I go out, I choose to drink water instead.
I love when I can find websites and apps that can help to encourage me to meet my goals, and The Healthy Choice Pledge is becoming a favourite of mine. I signed up through Facebook.com/HealthyChoiceCanada, and every day, when I log in, I see the next challenge that they post.
“To help kick-start 2013 with a healthy and balanced lifestyle, Healthy Choice Canada is motivating Canadians to take The Healthy Choice Pledge. It’s as easy as visiting Facebook.com/HealthyChoiceCanada and signing up through the online application. The app suggests a simple, healthy choice every day that participants can complete to stay committed to their Pledge.”By taking this pledge, you are not only taking a step to a healthier life for you, but you can also dedicate your pledge to give $75,000 to these 3 National Charities: Breakfast Clubs of Canada, Kids Help Phone and The Heart and Stroke Foundation.
It is a win-win situation!! Doing something good for yourself and giving to charity in the process!
#1. Revisit and Visualize your Goals
* Review your personal goals weekly.* Try vision journaling: cut out pictures that portray what you are working towards, what you value and what represents a fit and healthy you.
#2. Spice up your Workout – Avoid the Plateau* Grab a friend and test out a new class each month.
* Incorporate tools like a heart rate monitor into your routine; seeing the results will keep you motivated.
#3. Turn Goals into Events* Plan to participate in a future race, an expedition hike or something that genuinely inspires you – set the date, start training and experience the journey!
#4. Grab a Partner* Do your workouts with others – a workout partner who has similar goals and interests can take your fitness plan from flat to fun and provides a source of friendly accountability.
#5. Excuse Proof your Plan* Create a list of common bad choices you make that prevent you from achieving your goals. Then, think of ways to redirect your actions to get what you truly want – results.
* Keep a stocked workout bag in the car to decrease your chances of driving past the gym.
What goals do you have? I am thinking that for me, I need to pick 1 goal every few weeks and start small. As I achieve each new goal, I would love to pick another one. I am also going to look for an accountability partner. Someone that I can “answer” to, someone who can ask me about my progress.
I have a Healthy Choice Pledge Prize Package for one of my readers to win, to help you on your way to a healthier lifestyle!
Open to Canada only.
Starts tonight, and ends on February 16th at 11:59pm EST.
Leave a comment with your email address for each entry. Include any links you have to earn the entry.
The Pledge Prize Package is worth $200 and includes:
- Healthy Choice Gourmet Steamers coupons to get that freezer stocked with some healthy choices
- A Healthy Choice t-shirt and water bottle
- A pedometer and athletic headband
- A journal to keep track of your goals
- A Vitamin E Skin Care Kit
- A $40 Cineplex gift card to schedule a movie date with a family member or friend
- A $25 iTunes gift card to download your favourite tunes and get dancing
- A $20 Chapters gift card so you can spend some time relaxing with a good read
THIS IS AN AMAZING PRIZE PACK WORTH $200!!
- What is a goal that you plan to achieve this year?
- Like the Facebook.com/HealthyChoiceCanada page and take the pledge
- Like Mom's Musings on Facebook
- Like Mom's Musings on Twitter
- Blog about this contest (5 entries)
- Post on Sharing Sites (Digg, Stumbleupon etc...)
I have been compensated to share this post. All opinions are my own.